Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how much does a crane operator position pay?

My hubby just passed his crane test yesterday, and I was wondering how much they pay? He was told to ask for 50k a year..that includes crane time where he works. Can we really ask that? He sets trusses for a big lumber company in Missoula Mt. Any help would be great.

Favorite Answer

I'm sure it depends on where you work, and what kind of crane. 20-ton bridge where I worked paid about $20k/hr, and included overtime, so that would be approaching 50k/yr

Huh, I thought crane ops got paid by the tonnage they lift. Maybe there is a base pay in addition to it. But to answer your question, I don't know.

The little that I do know is that it's one of the most dangerous jobs in the construction field including working around them...so it easily pays that much...

Source(s): job offered to me