if you have your gallbladder remove will you gain weight or lose weight?

if i have taken my gallbladder out will i stop burping

Favorite Answer

I had my gallbladder removed two years ago and I have noticed nothing. I have neither gained nor lost weight due to its removal. You will continue to burp.

I feel a little abnormal here based on previous comments, but I lost 26 lbs from the time I started getting attacks until after the surgery. This all occurred in about a month and a half. As for the burping, I am burping more now. But my mother had a hiadus hernia and they are hereditary, so that could be the problem.

It partially depends on whether you were eating more or less because of the pain before the surgery. I had my surgery about a month and a half ago. Because of the liquid diet and recovery, I lost about 7 lbs in a week because of the surgery (plus I'm sure the actual organ weighs something). Since then, I have found my weight easier to manage, I feel a lot healthier, and I have not felt the urge to eat as many fatty foods--even though I am now able to digest them better and eat them without having diarrhea.

Overall, I have lost weight, but I'm a bit gassier and sometimes that leads to feeling bloated. Be sure to expect that.

I would get tested for liver disease since the gallstone issue seems to be brought on by liver disease.

If you find out you have liver disease, treat it if you can and see if that will help the gallstone/gallbladder issue to clear up.

If there is no liver disease, you could take medication for the rest of your life, but many find it easier to have it removed.

Some do gain weight with the removal and some don't. You will have to stay away from as much fatty food as you can post operation.

Source(s): hcv advocate

Having a cholecystectomy doesn't have anything to do with weight loss or gain. The burping may be a hiatal hernia or maybe Helicobacter pylori infection. Check with your doctor. Ask for an H Pylori test.

Hi Lisa,

My ex-wife had hers removed about 13 years ago. It helped with some problems she was having. Hers was completely loaded with gallstones, but they used a laser to break it up and remove it. I don't recall her gaining or losing weight from that procedure. I was told by many people that they felt 100% better after the operation.

The gallbladder has no effect on weight. It is merely a storage area for bile. A lot of women with stones are obese already.

I had mine removed and i haven't gained or lost, it probably varies with each person. Don't worry to much about it.

ask your doctor. I dont know. that is a medical question that only docs can answer.