promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does anyone know the full equation for making a lightbulb work?

Update:

kus emok! Atem loh mevinim et hashe'ela sheli!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

P = I V

Power = Current x Voltage

Effective Power = Power * Efficiency

For a filament light bulb has an efficiency of about 5%,

So, Effective Power = I x V x 5%

With this equation you can start with the desired wattage of Light power needed and then work backwards to what needs to be put in given the efficiency factor.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • You need a glass bulb, either tansparent or translucent. You then need a filament like tungsten or some other element. You then have to place the filament into the bulb, create a vacuum inside the bulb but make sure the two ends of the filament hang outside the bottom of the bulb. Connect the one end of the filament to a positive energy source and the other to the negative and let there be light. I think some bulbs may be filled with a special gas to help it glow brighter, but im not 100%, because that means there is not longer a vacuum !!!

• extton
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

...on what level?

It's pretty easy to find the equation for electrical power used. I think it's basically the same as it is for other things electrical:

Power = Current^2 * Resistance

or

Power = Current*Voltage

The resistance of a lightbulb is a funny thing, though - it gets lower as the amount of power going through it goes up, thus, it does not follow Ohm's law. You'll have to look up the resistance of a lightbulb on the net, if you need to know that.

If you want to go into real detail, though, i would imagine you'd have to look up the quantum mechanical functions of the electrons of the filament. That wouldn't be fun to do at all.

• 1 decade ago

A light bulb really isn't complicated... fill glass with an inert gas, send current through a high resistance filament that won't burn/melt. Lower resistance => higher current => higher power => brighter bulb. I think.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Electricity goes thro a tungsten coil and makes it verry hot so it glows. But the bulb can't have any air or the coil will catch fire and burn out so the bulb is filled with vacuum.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Many hands make light work.

Source(s): Confusion.
  • Ahab
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Screw it in and flip the switch! Ma ata ose?

• 1 decade ago

um.

light + bulb +lightswitch on = lightbulb?

• I think you must use the switch

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It has something to do with electricity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.