Without You by Anthony Rapp?

I was curious what other people who have read it have thought. I've read mixed reviews both from reviewers and from other readers, so I was curious as to what other people have though.

Favorite Answer

Without You, a ''Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical Rent'' definitely demands an avid interest in the 1996 rock opera. But Rapp's book is no roar-of-the-crowd, smell-of-the-greasepaint scrapbook; it's a sprawling, tear-streaked life story and unabashedly sentimental ode to his mother (she died of adrenal cancer in 1997). Anthony Rapp's personal and professional lives were like warped mirror images: As Rent went from workshop to Tony-winning theatrical sensation (Rapp played cynical filmmaker Mark), the actor watched his mother waste away.

Personally, I adored this book with every inch of my being. Of course it helps that I really admire Anthony Rapp, as well, but I think this book only encouraged that further. It's so well written, and it has a bit of everything for everyone. No matter what you're struggling with, I think Anthony Rapp deals with it well in this book. He has such a way with words, so poetic and everything just flows together so perfectly, and it really just comes out so shockingly beautiful. True, the book made me cry, but not only out of sadness, but out of joy, out of happiness, out of excitement, and it made me feel just about every other thing one might ever experience in their lifetime. If you don't know the actor, you probably wouldn't enjoy the book as much, because it handles things like castmates from RENT and various other shows, and friends and family and such. But if you do, it's a great way to learn more about these people and learn even more about Anthony himself.

Overall, I truly loved it. I couldn't put it down once I started it [and read it in just eight hours, which, for me, is incredibly fast, me being the slow reader I am.] It's so well-written and thought out, and it's just a great little "look back" at his life and all he's been through. It's very enlightening, and all in all, I completely adored it.

That's my two cents. Actually, more like $200 seeing as how it's so long. =P