Is it normal to throw up food that you ate nine hours ago?

My daughter (16) ate pizza at 12:30 p.m and threw up at 9:30 p.m. When she threw up it contained some of the pizza. Is it normal to have food from nine hours still in your stomach. Slow gastric empyting has been ruled out with a gastric empyting exam.

• nay
    Favorite Answer

I'm not saying she is. But when I was preg I did. I'm not to sure if it is normal. But you might want to look into it. That is a long time to have that in her tummy. Might be way she got sick. Cause she couldn't pass it. Might of been something wrong with the food.

It's not normal to throw up what you eat. Your daughter probably just has a stomach virus. When you eat, your food normally will travel down and be digested and come out as feces. But if something is wrong with the food or there is something bad in the stomach, the stomach has to get rid of it. It won't digest it. Therefore it comes back up as vomit. Give her some medicine and make sure she drinks a lot of fluids. It probably isn't serious. It can take anywhere from five to six hours for just ONE meal to be fully digested.

I have had that happen before when that cruise ship stomach virus was going around. If the condition persists for more than 3 days or dehydration sets in see a Doctor right away.

I don't think it is ever normal to vomit..Foods are digested at different rates depending upon the type of food...proteins take the longest to digest, pizza has cheese, which contains protein, it also depends on what else she ate w/ the pizza.

something must have caused the body to reject it at the begining or it would have been digested. id say u might have some bad food. cook ur own food. i dont eat out

If she ate something bad, yes. It will just turn in your stomach. Your body naturally rejects it.

I would contact the place you bought it from so they can check their product!

• Landon

unless shes anorexic no i dont think its normal at all... consult a doctor dont take any chances

Food poisoning maybe>??

I wouldn't trust anything people on here tell you. Call a doctor.

i think its normal

but if she is getting sick consult a doctor.