sekhtet asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

What are the psychological factors that lead someone to be an arsonist?

Favorite Answer

You might be referring to "pyromania" which is an impulse control disorder. No one really knows why it happens to some people and not others. Fire becomes an outlet for either rage or sexual repression, and for some reason in the subject's brain fire relieves the tension that he/she feels.

Arson, I think, is the legal term for intentionally setting a fire, which is usually done for revenge or for insurance. True pyromania is very rare.

I couldn't explain the motives of all arsonists, but many arsonists have been volunteer fire fighters. They set the fire, and then they are the first ones there to put it out. Where I live, a few years ago some young volunteer EMTs through a cinder block off an overpass, severely injuring a woman, because they wanted to be seen as heroes for being the first on the scene to help her. They didn't commit arson, but it's the same as the firemen who set blazes in order to extinguish them. By the way, I am not saying all volunteer firefighters are arsonists. Firefighters are heroes! I just know of stories I've read in the newspaper where this has happened over the years. I admire firefighters.

They are addicted to the excitement of watching the aftermath. Not the fire setting itself.

The fact that we don't punish criminals a whole lot contributes greatly to the mentality.

One for sure is that they are sociopaths that cannot empathize.