Can you expect to see the condensation sequence at work or it is unique to our solar system?

Favorite Answer

Yes, we can ... and we have. There are a bunch of proto-planetary systems in various stages of development all around us. The HST has photographed a number of them. If I could, I'd send you my PowerPoint slides I use when I teach this, they are so cool!

We haven't got enough data (pictures) yet to create a step-by-step photo essay of the process, but we DO have is pretty spectacular. Go and google terms like "accretionary disk" with your search set to "images". Good luck!

Given that the laws of physics are pretty much the same no matter where you go in the Universe, when a star forms a accretion disk and starts to form planets, the condensation sequence should also apply for those newly forming Solar Systems as it once did for ours......give or take the intial temp of the cloud and the central star, and the intial compostion of the cloud.

I believe we have seen the condensation sequence at work through telescopes. At least, I'm certain we've seen embryonic stars. Try checking out Hubble's web site.