unfguy2006 asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Things to eat after having all four wisdom teeth removed, and other helpful advice frp, those who've had it.

Tomorrow I am having my wisdom teeth removed. I am not actually that nervous, but I was wondering what I can expect (stuff that the doctor's brochure) doesn't mention.....advice, and things to eat on the first day and the next few days. Thanks for all of your help.

• J.D.
    Favorite Answer

Broths and soft soups / veggies for the next few days.

NO SLAW DOGS, OK?

Oh, and resist the temptation to set an aspirin directly on top of your gums... that destroys tissue and you don't want that. What you also don't want is to have one of the extraction sites to become a "dry socket". So behave for a few days and do like the dentist says.

• donna

I had mine removed from under the gums because my ex-rays showed that I would have problems when they grew out. I had severe bruising on either side of my face and got a small infection. The doctor put me on percocets which kept me in bed and sick as a dog. I had to get my mom and friend to bathe me because I couldn't sit up on my own one held me up while the other one washed me. When I was switched over to T3's I got a little better. I could only eat apple sauce and ice cream which I didn't eat very often because I got sick and you were suppose to eat with the percocets. I suggest that you go and have a really big meal before the pain relief wears off from the dentist because that will be the last good meal that you have for about a week. Sorry for the scary story but you did ask for experiences.

When I had mine done (I had all four done at once) I didn't wake up from the anesthesia when I was supposed to so my husband had to basically carry me to the car. Don't wear clothes you care too much about, because you'll get blood on them. I ate a lot of soup for two or three days; that Campbell's "Soup at Hand" in the microwavable drinkable cups is great for this. Beef or chicken broth is good too.

I had mine out during Thanksgiving break in college. My mom put turkey and dressing in the food processor and gave it to me in a GLASS. Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING is more digusting than sipping turkey thru a straw. I would suggest however, miso soup, mashed potatoes, ice cream, pudding, anything youfeel like eating that yoiu don't have to chew. If your pain meds make you sick, tell yoiur doctoer so hecan give you an ant-naseau medication (ask for it in your IV, too, so you don't get sick from the general anesthesia!)...chill out, take yoiur meds, lose a couple of pounds...it's a cake walk! Nothing to worry about, as long as yoiur mom's not trying to feed you Thangsgiving food through a straw for cryin' out super loud!!

soft foods. after i had mine out, i ate a ton of jello, creamy soups with no chunks in them to chew (but i made sure they werent too hot, just kind of warm), pudding, yogurt, drank tons of juice, and soft vegetables like very very steamed broccoli and very very steamed and soft carrots. you may want to try milkshakes as well. youll find you cant open your mouth too wide so chewing may be a bit difficult, so things that you dont have to chew are your best shot, especially since you are not going to want to dislodge the clots that your dentist makes where your wisdom teeth used to be...hard foods that you chew may dislodge them and cause bleeding (bad). good luck!

Source(s): RN
  • manda

eat broth or supper soft things for a few days. Be prepared for the worst case of halitosis ( bad breath ) you've ever had. Umm take you meds. they help and mostly just try to sleep it off and rest. I know i tried to eat to soon and got my stitches pulled and it ripped my gum and left a hole that took for ever to heal.

Well when i had mine taken out about 2 years ago the pain meds made me sick so i couldnt take them. But i ate frostys and mashed potatoes. Jello might be good too.

buy a bunch of chicken noodle soup and crackers, crush crackers in soup and let get m aushy and enjoy you will be at it fo about four or five days! lots of water after any surgery!

Soft food, no carbinated drinks, plenty of water, you dentist will give you a list good luck..

jello, broth, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, popcycles, pudding, califlower cooked and mashed with cheese sauce....thats all i can think of.....