Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What are some good vegetables to deep fry?

I've had onions, and they were pretty good. I've also heard of frying broccoli, zucchini, and mushrooms. Has anyone ever tried deep frying these? If so how were they? Also, anyone know of any other vegetables that taste good deep fried?

Favorite Answer

I've had zucchini and mushrooms, never broccoli, they are very good, we also deep fry breaded okra, green tomatoes, squash, jelapenos, bell peppers. anything with an outer layer that's strong enough to hold up to the hot oil. all of those we bread up. the jelapenos we usually stuff with cream cheese, if you're going to do that, add just enough to fit into the middle of it and then batter it, put them on plastic wrap and freeze on a cookie sheet. this will help the cheese from oozing out while cooking. we only let them defrost for a little while

I've deep fried all the ones you mentioned as well as many others. Okra is a classic. I've also done sliced carrots, sweet potatos, scallions, asparagus, artichoke hearts, and believe it or not dill pickles. All of them are delicious. I'm sure there are many others that would be good as well. The secret is to use a good light batter. Tempura batter is the best I've found for most veggies. There are exceptions though. Beer batter works great on some and so does a thin batter made from Bisquick. Try different batters on many different veggies. I'm sure you will find many that you like.

• Slam64

zucchini and yellow squash, okra, the mushrooms and onions you mentioned. green tomatoes are also good deep fried. just do them like your other vegetables I use milk and an egg beaten together to wet the veggies then coat them in a cornmeal and flour mixture.

Okra is wonderful deep fried, I love deep fried mushrooms, of course potatoes are great deep fried, I don't really like deep fried broccoli. Deep fried green tomato slices are good.

Mushrooms are great - just make sure they are kinda big and whole. Zucchini is good, Okra, squash, eggplant, onions.

Of course potatoes. Green tomatoes, corn

Make sure you have the right breading and the temp. of your oil is right, or the breading will fall off.

Why are you going to destroy a vegetable? Anything is good deep fried. Snow peas, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower.

Zucchini is awesome fried!! I could live on it. And eggplant too. I grow zucchini all summer so that I have it to fry all year round.

• LEG

broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms are really good fried. Also try cauliflower, pickles, eggplant, yellow squash, and/or sliced tomatoes.

Artichokes, mushrooms, zucchini, and squash. They are very nice depending upon your batter and how crisp they are after frying.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of vegetables? Onions are the only ones I have heard of.