I have a mice problem with my macademia tree...They keep getting into my tree and eating all the nuts...?

In my backyard, there is a macademia tree next to the wall dividing my backyard with my neighbor's backyard. I have identified the tall juniper trees as the mice's hideout, and they come out at night to eat the nuts. This has been going on for at least an year...

I have tried lots of things, like sitting out there part of the night and throwing sticks at the mice, but they keep coming back, and I've even tried filling some of the macademia nuts with chili pepper. I've even read that mice could jump three feet, so I made sure that no part of the tree was touching the 6 1/2 feet wall. In addition, I surrounded the base of the tree with slippery aluminum foil so it can't climb up.

I've run out of ideas, any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Get a cat that loves to catch mice. That will do it for sure!!

You had the right idea with the tin foilbut, it would work better if you put metal flashing around the trunk of the tree about four feet from the ground. The sheet metal must go all the way around the trunk of the tree and about one foot wide. Here in Hawaii we do this to our coconut and palm trees to keep the rats from climbing the trees and jumping from the tree to the building and getting inside. It has been working for over a hundred years. Try it and see for yourself.

Source(s): General contractor and Landscaper.
  • No one

I know this sounds crazy, but a herpetologist told me that if you can somehow get hold of some snake dung and spread it around the area where you are having the problem, the mice will go away quickly and will not return.

I don't know where to get snake dung, but if I had a mice problem, I would surely find out by visiting a pet store and asking.

I hope this helps.