What is the best way to start a conversation with random strangers you meet on elevators?

Is, "Oh, my! Did you hear that cable snapping noise?" an appropriate conversation starter?

Favorite Answer

"I'm sorry, but I'm extremely claustrophobic. Will you hold my hand till I get to the ____the floor?" either they will think you're a freak, or laugh (you want them to laugh) laughter always starts a good conversation :)

No, the cable snapping noise is definately not the right way to start off a conversation. A simple "Hello, how are you?" is a much better way to start talking.

Here's a good one.

"The TV show 'Mythbusters' proved that if an elevator car is falling, jumping up at the last second will not save your life at all."

OR

"This is just like the Tower of Terror ride at Walt Disney World."

OR

"There's that scene in 'Dressed to Kill', where Angie Dickensen gets stabbed in the elevator. Much more painful than getting stabbed in the arras."

• Mac

Then you have to follow it up by, "just kidding, but if we did get stuck on this elevator, would you do me?" I think its an appropriate answer. It would grab my attention.

Or you could fart and be like my bad and then start talking to them. Humour is the best way into a girls heart!

• Nisha

Sounds ok to me but may alarm some people...the safest approach would be to smile and give them a complement such as "nice dress! have a good choice.." should start off an instant conversation with a lady ..

Even if it is a big elevator and there is nobody except the two of you in it, stand RIGHT next to the person. I GUARANTEE this will get thier attention.

Yes, that would be a great way to break the ice on an elevator...

Just say hi, hows it going. Its not that difficult to start a conversation.

and no that cable snapping isnt a bright idea

I would ask them if they live around here often and hope they get a confused look on their face. I would just laugh and tell them Im here all week and walk out when the door opened

LOL, probably not the best way to start a conversation. But funny.