does anyone know if you can have a childbirth like they did in the 1800's ?

my friend wants to know because she is really interested in the 1800's.

• Fire
    Favorite Answer

WHY>> WHY >> WHY ?????

Does she know most midwives back in the 1800's were men? and that the wemen still had th wear long heavy garments during labor and birth? They had JUST created forecepts.. and didnt know to sterilize .. so they took nasty forecepts fro delivery to delivery... its amazing the human race had carried on despite the level of filth lol. You dont even want to know what happened if the mother perished during birth...

Her best bet is to get ahold of a midwife, and labor at home...

Hell, if I can handle delivering my FIRST kid at 9 pounds and 9 ounces with no drugs in 5 hours and 15 min of pushing.... I think a home birth without meds is possible for anyone.

Why would she want to?? And, simply having a home birth and no pain meds ISN'T like they did it in the 1800's. There was essentially NO prenatal care - NO electricity - little ability to have much more than a basic clean environment - and the death rate for both mother and baby was high because of the unhealthy environment and lack of knowledge about proper care.

It's a romantic notion to go back to "olden times" but to REALLY do that entails a lot more than most people realize.

Um... if I am understanding your question correctly, you want to know if women can still have babies like they did in the 1800's?

Well, medicine and technology have come a long way, but there are many women who still choose to have their babies at home, surrounded by friends and family, instead of going to a hospital. There are pros and cons, obviously, and it is a decision that should be thoroughly researched, but I get the impression your friend isn't really considering, she was just interested. There is a wealth of information on "home birth" on the internet. Check it out.

The major changes that have helped improve birth outcome since then have been prenatal care, antiseptic technique, blood transfusions, and antibiotics. Transfer of care from the home to the hospital was not one of those things. If your friend is healthy and is having a low risk pregnancy she could absolutely have a birth at home with a midwife.

Why would you want a childbirth like that? A lot of women back then died from childbirth.

That wouldn't be safe for you and your baby. Go with all of today's wonderful medical advances, take the epidural, and be thankful you can HAVE pain medication.

She actually wants to stay home and give birth in her own bed without drugs??? Brave women. And if the pregnancy is normal and low risk then it is possible. In 1816 my great grandma had a baby by just holding on to a tree standing up. She squatted and had a baby and then walked home to feed it. She was the WOMAN!!

• Lumas

I guess you could, with the risk of her and/or her child becoming part of the 1800's death during labor statistics.

It would basically be a home birth with a mid wife and no drugs. And yes you can have a home birth but she would have to find a midwife that does home births.

You mean at home, with a midwife, not too sterile conditions, and high risk of infant mortality?

• EPnTX

You sure can! Contact a mid-wife and don't take any pain medication.