I heard caller ID was illegal in California. Is that true? Why?

Favorite Answer

I don't think it's illegal. I mean, I don't live in California, but when I saw the TV show 24, which takes place mostly in Los Angeles, California, most of the characters' cell phones and other telephones had Caller ID so they could see who was calling. Actually, perhaps if there was a rule against Caller ID, it doesn't apply to government agents (24 has numerous counterterrorist agents such as Jack Bauer). Then again, I remember that Jack's wife, a civilian, had Caller ID on her phone. So I am driven to say that it's not illegal in that state.

I live in Northern California and have had Caller ID for years (since it was first offered). If it were illegal, the Public Utilities Commission wouldn't allow Pac Bell/AT&T to provide the service.

Caller identity is something that you easily choose with the intention to position telephone calls or you're going into the spoofing caller identity field. what's illegitimate in California is recording the phone calls with out the consent of each and each of the activities in touch.

• chelle

It's not true, I know several people that have it, and I live in California.

not true

not true