Modern-Day Quincy Jones?

Is it true that they call Jermaine Dupri the modern -day Quincy Jones? If so why would they put him in that category?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

So many people don't even know who Quincy Jones is or for that matter, heard his work. Someone put it out there. Either the media, music buffs of today, Hollywood, who knows, but the most important thing is to realize and remember there is only one "Q". Mr. Dupree never scored music for major motion pictures, never played with great musicians (I do not mean rappers either!), and never had so many white women as wives (ha! ha!). Seriously though, Mr. Jones has a musical history incomparable to anyone and has awards, shows of recognition aired on national T.V (2+ hrs.) , and so many friends in 'high' places. It will take Mr Dupree a lifetime to achieve the greatness Mr. Jones has if he lives that long you know the 'thug' life rappers portray.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I actually heard that music producer Rodney Jerkins aka "dark child" is the modern day Quincy Jones. He is only 25 or 26 and had done some things and sold millions of records. He is doing what "Q" did. He has been doing this since he was 20 which isn't that long ago. Check out his myspace page. The man is a musical genius.

Back to Mr. Dupri, he may not have done what Mr. Jones has done but don't rule him out. He was one of the youngest produces to come out when he produced Da Brat's and Kris Kross' debut albums. He is a better producer than he is an artist of which it shows in album sales. And he manages to produce for other artists very well. No he hasn't produced musical scores or won Oscars yet, but doors of opportunity might allow him to do so. You have to realize that Quincy Jones achieved his successes over decades and rightfully deserving so. Jermaine Dupree is well on his way given he is only in his early 30's. I say he may not be in the same caliber yet, but over time, he will be.

• 1 decade ago

He is an amazing producer, but I wouldn't class him with Quincy Jones. Most likely the comparison is because he's produced some of the best R&B groups of the last two decades, as well as introduced the world to some of our favorite hip-hop acts. Hope that helps some!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.