How do i reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows xp home edition?

my computer came with the windows 98se operating system and a year ago i upgraded to windows xp. but now there are traces of virues/spyware in my registry and i hope someone can provide me with instructions on how to reformat my hard, knowing full well all data will be lost, and then be able to reinstall windows xp... show more my computer came with the windows 98se operating system and a year ago i upgraded to windows xp. but now there are traces of virues/spyware in my registry and i hope someone can provide me with instructions on how to reformat my hard, knowing full well all data will be lost, and then be able to reinstall windows xp home edition.there are too many confusing websites, each one with a diifferent way to go about reformating the hard drive and reinstalling windows xp home edition. i have the retail disk that i got when i bought windows xp at wal-mart. thanks to anyone that can help me.