Suzette F asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dog barks at almost all black people, is she racist? It is very embarrassing.?

I have had this dog for almost a year, she is about 3 years old, and the previous owners were wonder bread white. Maybe they are the racist ones that taught her that behavior?

Favorite Answer

Did you get your dog as a puppy? It's possible that before you got her she was abused by a black person. This can also occur with men, people with hats, etc. Don't worry, she's not racist! She's just had a bad experience. Do you have any friends that are black? You can introduce her to your friends slowly, and especially if they have some treats for her, she will eventually learn that they are not a threat. If you don't know anyone that would help you, try giving her a treat every time she sees a black person. That way she'll associate good things with them. But ultimately you should ask an animal trainer on how to break her of this behavior.

This is actually very common, albeit extremely embarrassing. My dog used to do it too, but he's getting better.

There are several reasons that may be the cause of dogs doing this:

1. it might be an instinct kept with them from slavery times, when dogs were taught to watch for runaways

2. it could just be that the darker faces seem a little scary to a dog that is not socialized very well

3. it also seems that there are some black people who are afraid of dogs (again, an instinct probably dating back to slavery times, unfortunately), and most dogs get worked up around people who are afraid of them

The best thing to do is to socialize your dog as much as possible. The more she is around lots of different kinds of people, the more she will come to accept all people, and will stop or cut down on this embarrassing behavior. It has worked with my dog. The other week one of my black friends came to spend the weekend at my house and Charlie loved him. They played together the whole time my friend was here. Dogs need socialization to get over their fears. (Just make sure you are always in control of your dog, so she can't hurt anybody.)

Source(s): I used to work at an animal shelter, and it seemed that a lot of the dogs barked more when black people came in then they did at most white people.
  • habbs

Dogs Racist

actually dogs are colrblind and also can not see very well up close also if a dog has his head turned he can only see 2d you pile all this up and it could cause the dog some confusion that they translate into aggression.I had a white shep that would bark at black people also at black dogs cats cars and the black goat we had at the time. I wouldn't say he was racial I might say he may have been a colorblind colorblind dog.thats right you can have a dog that don't see colors the same as other dogs

• ?

People have different smells. Your dog is reacting to a different body smell. If she's not used to it, she will bark.

Dogs , actually all animals have no idea what being a racist is. Animals have unconditionallove...that is all they know about .

Source(s): lifetime of working with animals

A dog should be trained on how to eat, walk with you, not to bark, potty training and sleep on its place etc. You can teach anything to your puppy, dogs get trained easily with some good instructions. If you want some good training tips visit https://tr.im/trainadog

If properly trained, they should also understand whistle and gesture equivalents for all the relevant commands, e.g. short whistle or finger raised sit, long whistle or flat hand lay down, and so on.

It's important that they also get gestures and whistles as voice may not be sufficient over long distances and under certain circumstances.

Animals are intelligent and they remember and learn just like humans!... They will remember if they were ever abused or attacked by a black person... They react based on their good and bad experiences just like humans! We are too obsessed with the word racist!... Animals can't be racist!

AHHAHA!! lol. Dogs can't be racist. They are morally pure. If she is used to white people, she might notice that black people are a little different in the way they talk/act/smell. She'll probably get over it.

Most all dogs bark at all black people.

I had a dog that would attack black people but only because she had been severly beaten by a black person that hated dogs. This had happened before I got her. So because of what happened to her she would attack any black person that came near her. Is it possible that your dog has been abused by someone?

• Robert

1

Source(s): Basic Dog Training Tips http://DogTrainingClasses.emuy.info/?s0l8