John Denver's song whose lyrics say west Virginia, is he talking about WestVa or Western Va?

I heard this as a bit of trivia, but is this bit of trivia also a myth?

Favorite Answer

The lyrics go "West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home...country roads." :)

I always thought it meant West Virginia, but the quirk to the lyrics is that the Shenandoah River does not flow through that state. It flows out of Maryland into western VA. I'm not sure the mountains in West Virginia are part of the Blue Ridge range either.

West Virginia

"Almost heaven, West Virginia,

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.

Life is old there, older than the trees,

Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze."

Those are the country roads that he wanted to take him home. Not the ones we have in Virginia.

Denver didn't write this song, in fact, when he recorded it he had never even been to West Virginia. Two musicians, Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert, wrote it while driving to Maryland -- they'd never been to West Virginia either! Danoff got his inspiration from postcards sent to him by a friend who DID live there.

west virginia