Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

Why do sailors and people who go on sail boats always wear white??

Favorite Answer

mabye it's because of the sun, so they won't get so hot

My husband and I have been sailing for years, He and I very rarely wear white. I usually go for shorts and a loose shirt, or a bathing suit. However I do see a bunch of people who where white, next time I am around our sailing friends I will ask them.

Most sailboat cockpits are painted white, and it's like being in a tanning bed. White reflects the sun's rays and energy off you while you're in the cockpit, and makes it easier for you to be spotted in the water, should you have an accident, and wind up overboard.

White is the best color to wear when you're gonna be in the sun for days at a time. It keeps the heat from building up. Just think about wearing black out in the sun. hot hot hot!! ouch!

Cause of the sun, would u wear black on a hot day, the sun is less attrqacted to white.

So when they fall overboard it will be easier for the sharks to spot their dinner.