Where are all these great biblical prophecies that have come true?

I keep seeing people say that biblical prophecies are 100% right. That's funny, everytime I see people using the bible for future insight they are saying the world is going to end on such an such a date. Then that date passes and nothing happens. Would you be so kind as to point out these magical prophecies and the resulting proof? I would like some actual evidence. Saying 'the Old Testament says Jesus would come' does not count.

Best Answer

Quotes from Carl Sagan:

<Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?>

<One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and - whole the events of that year were certainly of some importance - the world did not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended. There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014'. A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way. But they did not. They could have said, Well, the world would have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God so He spared the Earth. But they did not. Instead, the did something much more ingenious. They announced that the world had in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout. It is astonishing in the fact of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration was needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.>

If people are saying the day, even year of the end, then they're false prophets. The bible clearly states, "only the Father knows". What we are given is things to look for, but no precise dates.

The bible predicted the Jews would return to Israel, they became a country again in 1948. The bible predicted all the tribes would return, from my last observance, 11 of the 12 are back. During the generation of Israel becoming a nation again, (biblical generation being 70 years), the end times will start, which gives us until 2018, so basically the tribulation could start at any time up until 2018.

• jimbob

I agree...what a waste of time to try and "decipher" the BIble to predictt the end of the world. After all, "the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night," when no one is expecting it. Inaccurate prophecies such as these do nothing to convince nonbelievers of the truth of the Christian faith.

1.The big conflict between Israel and the Palestinian nations was predicted in the bible during the time of Abraham.

2. The bible says that during the end times, great waters will flood the earth, hence all the hurricanes and tsunamis.

3. The war in Israel right now is predicted in Reveltions.

4. False teachings are rampant more now than ever and people are falling for the 'give me all your money for a blessing' preachers.

Jesus prophesized, 'Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up'. They did so. They crucified Him. Three days later, He came out of the tomb alive and well, and able to walk through walls, walk on water, and rise up above the clouds. This was attested to by dozens of ppl, who suffered persecution and even death because they KNEW they were speaking the truth. Even His enemies had to make up a story about a stolen body, which they themselves made impossible by setting up guards around the tomb. Yet there was no body for use in countering the facts. The Resurrection is the best-documented miracle in history. There are lots of books on the topic, but they require you to actually READ and THINK. So I suppose you will say it doesn't count. You want to be spoonfed. That ain't gonna happen. The truth is out there for YOU to digest. Believe it, or don't. But don't pretend there's nothing there to believe in.

Oh, and you won't find 1914 or any other date like it in the Bible. That was only interpretation by someone who didn't pay attention to Jesus who said, NO man knows when the Kingdom will come, only My Father in Heaven does.

• myview

I grew up in what I now see as a religious cult. I heard the minister say and I read literature that said clearly: We are living in the last days, Armageddon will come(the end) in the year 1975!

Now, they totally deny this.

I'm not advocating that anyone change their religion; people can believe what they want to be* lie *ve, just leave me out of the madness-I'm Agnostic!

I asked this earlier today, no examples came from these idiots, just the same old dribble.

And any tosser could have predicted war in the middle east. 2 groups of religious zealots plus limited space!!! come on

What makes you believe there is a date listed for anyone to see.

Read the bible and look for answers yourself.

The war in Israel is a fulfillment of prophecy.

Jesus done said so.