Does Airborne really work? Or is it a waste of money?

• Favorite Answer

I think it's a waste of money. You're better off buying a generic multi-vitamin that only has 100% RDA for most vitamins/minerals-- it's cheaper and less risky. Airborne has too much Vitamin C (1670% RDA), which can cause kidney stones when taken in large doses. I've heard kidney stones can be extremely painful.

Here's an excerpt from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_%28dietary_s...

There are some concerns. First, there is no conclusive evidence that this product or any of its ingredients prevents colds or shortens their duration. Second, the adult tablet contains 1 g of vitamin C, and the directions for use advise taking 1 tablet at the first sign of a cold and repeating the dose every 3 hours as necessary. Vitamin C in doses higher than 1 g increases oxalate and urate excretion and may cause kidney stones (EN Taylor et al, J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15:3225). Third, the safety of this herbal extraction combination has not been established. And with herbs and dietary supplements in general, we only have the manufacturers’ word on the label for what’s in them.

Here are some good tips for preventing colds:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/common-cold/DS000...

* Wash your hands. Clean your hands frequently and teach your children the importance of hand washing.

* Scrub your stuff. Keep kitchen and bathroom countertops clean, especially when someone in your family has a common cold. Wash your child's toys after play if your child has a common cold.

* Use tissues. Always sneeze and cough into tissues. Discard used tissues right away.

* Be a little selfish. Don't share drinking glasses or utensils with other family members. Use your own glass or disposable cups when you or someone else is sick.

* Steer clear of colds. Avoid close, prolonged contact with anyone who has a common cold.

* Choose your child-care center wisely. Look for a child-care setting with sound hygiene practices and clear policies about keeping sick children at home.

Many people believe that the herb Echinacea, the mineral zinc or megadoses of vitamin C can help prevent common colds. Studies haven't found these claims to be true, and these products may have side effects.

Source(s): I'm a pharmacy student.

Airborns scares the sh** out of me with its ingredient list.

That said, there are people who swear by it.

I tend to doubt its effectiveness, and even if it does work - to what extent.

Does Airborne Really Work

It works for me. But its not actual medicine so yea good for small colds.