reference request letters...?

hi, i was wondering if anyone knows how to write a reference requst letter. Im currently working now and have another job that i want to take, but she needs to call my boss. Now my boss says that she need a reference request letter from me...does anyone know how to write one, or do you know of any site I can go and look at?

Favorite Answer

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for allowing me to use you as an employment reference. Please accept this letter as my authorization to disclose information relating to my employment with XXYY Inc. I have enjoyed working with you and the rest of the team at ABCD Ltd., and I truly appreciate your cooperation in helping me make the transition to my new career. If there is anything I can do to be of assistance prior to August 1, 2006 please let me know.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Microsoft has some templates. Below is a link for a reference request letter for a former employer.

The reason she is asking for this is to keep your company legally defensible. The new company should have had a form for you to sign inside the application (or even directly on the application) that states you are allowing them to contact former employers.

you don't write it your boss does!