Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

How can a person own a gun and get disability on bipolar disorder?

Someone I know owns two guns and draws a check on disability with bipolar it doesn't seem legal to me , should I do something? If so what?

Favorite Answer

First of all being on disability has nothing to do with whether or not you can legally own a gun.

Per ATF form 4473, A mental disorder MAY disqualify a person for one of two reasons

-the person has been adjudicated mentally deficient.

OR

-committed to a mental institution. Note the word "committed". If you just go for a few days for evaluation or something like that you have not been "committed".

Simply being diagnosed as bipolar without meeting either of the 2 conditions would not disqualify a person.

In addition, form 4473 asks if you are an illegal user of, or addicted to, any controlled substance. Now I am not a laywer, but in my view if you are perscribed a drug by a doctor and you are using it according to the terms of your perscription, then you are not addicted to it, although like with many drugs you may have developed a dependency.

Pondering Reality - did you just guess at your answer? It honestly sounds to me like you just answered what you thought "makes sense" without any real knowledge of the law. Please don't do that.

• extton

By applying for a gun permit and by having a doctor diagnose you with bipolar disorder (assuming you can get dissability for that). The two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't think it's possible to get a gun legally if you have a diagnosed mental disorder and collect disability. However, it probably depends on what state you live in also.

• Erika

It relies upon on your state and precisely how the regulation is worded. Having a family member who's bipolar, I genuinely have a ton of background in this. What you may desire to comprehend is that bipolar isn't an "the two/or" element plenty, there's a huge version of severity. and various human beings wrongly evaluate it to be some thing you administration with the aid of determination. it is an ailment, which, while you're sturdy which includes your drugs, could be saved below administration. The irony approximately bipolar is that if somebody is somewhat volatile, they frequently do no longer see themself as having a concern..and that itself, is brought about with the aid of the ailment. It impacts the potential to make judgement. somebody untreated with intense bipolar could be psychotic, and subsequently,a actual threat. because of the fact of this it is lined on the class for shouldn't legally have a gun. Having been interior the scientific institution for bipolar, plus getting incapacity, potential somebody has clinically determined your bipolar as a bigger concern. Any psychiatric scientific institution could be seen a "psychological ward". it is completely a derogatory way of describing it, yet sure, it is the comparable. The "verify" they do relies on your answer, and not being recommend, your answer wasn't thoroughly uncomplicated. it is in all possibility authentic you're actually not ill like the guy in Arizona who went on the shoooting rampage. you does no longer get incapacity if it replace into only gentle, the two. Legally speaking, the answer to the questionaire possibly could desire to have pronounced sure, you have been in a psych scientific institution. you in all possibility are sturdy immediately, which I applaud for you. the challenge is the form itself, which fails to realize that persons who're somewhat ill (no longer asserting you're) lack the potential to nicely known or admit it. edit one poster is nicely meaning. She curiously has by no potential talked with a expert as to the thank you to understand the version between backyard form melancholy (which all of us could have) and bipolar that's defined with the aid of scientific standards as a psychological ailment. understanding the version meant the version between my daughter getting taken care of with drugs..vs being lifeless. melancholy isn't a psychological ailment. Bipolar is.