concrete blocks?

I really need to know any tips, advice, or info for forming and pouring my own cinder blocks (i.e. how to make the forms, what type and brand of mix to use, etc.) Why? I have a lot of time on my hands. If you know that it would be cheaper and better quality to just buy them pre-made....give me some info as to why this would be so such as how many I could get from a bag of concrete mix and what the compression strength of said blocks would be, and at what cure point is the compression that you are giving. Won't meet building code?...don't worry, the rest of my house won't either....alternative building....that's what code variances are for.

Favorite Answer

Sorry but unless you plan to mix something decorative into the concrete I just can't see any sense at all in making them yourself. Uniformity would be my biggest concern. Getting them exactly the same size would be a real trick since the water content, a variable, can effect the shrinkage of concrete as it cures. No I think you would be time, money and quality ahead by buying them from Home Depot, Lowes, or some other retail source.

Sorry, I am not normally a wet blanket but I have been one twice today and I'm not through answering questions yet. BTW, good luck on your building. It can be great fun and it is very rewarding to know exactly what is inside those walls.

Its cheaper to buy them since the makers buy/make the materials wholesale.

cant see how it would be cheaper or eaiser since you have to buy or make a mold and how many r u going to use, just seems eaiser to buy