Travis asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Remember that part in Pirates of the Caribbean 1 when they go underwater in that boat???

That part where Johnny Depp and Bloom are going to steal the ship, and they get a small boat and flip it upside down and walk underwater. Is that possible? Wouldn't it fill up with water?

Favorite Answer

It's possible!

For one, the boat never really went under the water.

And two, if they where to go underwater, the boat would hold the air in from escaping!

Experiment:

Try pushing an upside down cup straight down under water. Then turn the cup on it's side. You'll see a bubble come up from the cup. That's because you trapped air in the cup when you submersed it. There are many diving excavations that use this method. The have actual bases (with lodging, bedrooms, kitchens, etc) that they submerse for the divers so that they can stay long periods of time. Have you ever seen Sphere!?!

No, it wouldn't fill up with water as long as it is properly sealed. The pressure from the air inside of the boat keeps the water at bay. its the same principle that keeps underwater caves and such from filling with water... try it sometime... take a cup and flip it level in a bowl of water... you'll see when you pull it straight back out that the inside is still dry... It CAN'T fill with water because then there would be nowhere for the air to escape to. hope this helps!

Why would it fill up with water? the air is less dense than the water, so it wants to rise higher. Thus, the air would remain on top (but trapped from surfacing by the boat's hull) and the water below.

Nope, the air pressure in that air bubble would keep the water out. Try overturning a cup and trapping some air in it in a sink full of water. Notice the air bubble under the cup stays there, even when fully submerged.

I doubt it is possible.. I mean think of the weight of the water on that boat. And to be able to hold it down would take super strength. Now don't get me wrong like both men but its just don't able to be done..

• That will work fine! A diving bell is simply that, a heavy bell shape that is sunk so it trap air inside. If you don't beleive me, take an empty glass that is clear and sink it in water upside down. You will see air trapped inside it.

Source(s): physics

It's not impossible. I've tried it in a pool with a cup. I put my hand in the upside down cup and there was no water! Lol!

Hehe, watching the movie right now(haven't gotten to that part yet). Sure, it's possible, but I don't think they had enough weight to hold it under in reality. But hey, it's a movie, so everything is possible:D

Yes, I remember! It's possible, if they do it correctly but it's highly improbable. Then again, there's no such thing as cursed Aztec gold, is there? It's just a movie (tho much better than the 2nd one).

Yes it is possible because of the air pocket.