What does the lamp post symbolize in the Chronicles of Narnia Stories?

During the movie, the lamp post is shown several times, and I've heard the post shows up more often in the other books. Does it mean somthing? My 7 year old is wondering!

Favorite Answer

The answer to the lamp post is found in "The Magician's Nephew"

It tells of the 'creation' of Narnia by Aslan. The lamp post is actually brought to Narnia in the hand of a witch. Well, a bar from the lamp post is brought, and 'sprouts and grows' when it touches the fertile soil of still growing Narnia. This probably just confused you more, but it is explained in the book, honest.

And it is a good way to get your 7 yr old interested in reading.

Lamp Post From Narnia

ooh interesting question!

I thought the lamp post symbolises the point of where the worlds meet and as a lamp post gives light (which is a symbol of hope) they worlds meshing can be seen as a sign for hope for either world in the future.

But that's just my view, maybe it's just a lamp post as a reminder to say "Remember another world exists" (Cause the children only return home accidentally once they see the lamp post)

The hidden wardrobe is a few yards away from the lamp post. That's why then the 4 Pevensies were all grown up, while strolling in the Narnian forests, they see the lamp post, remembered the wardrobe is there and they were kids again.

interesting question, never really thought about it. well...considering lewis was a pretty religious person and christian themes go throughout the entire series of books, it probably has something to do with the light to guide you home and what not, like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel to lead you to heaven or something...i honestly dont know, and i like the answer from someone else about hope and what not. odds are its something religious in nature, if that helps out at all

I guess it comes down to your interpretation of what it symbolizes. To me I think it symbolizes the light to show them the way home.

I just took it as meaning the way they go to get home.

It is just there to be known as a way back home.