ryan000 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How does sodium effect your body in terms of weight gain? And how quickly can you sweat it out?

I know it causes high blood pressure and all. I am really just wondering what it does in terms of weight gain and for someone that is trying to lessen their body fat percentage. And also, how quickly does your body lose sodium if you are running or doing some other exercise activity?

Favorite Answer

Sodium intake does nothing about body fat. Any weight gain associated with sodium has to do with water retention. Water can be lost and gained daily, as much as 5 pounds in a singel work out. The thing is, if you sweat off 5 pounds of water, you have done nothing about fat except burn a few calories. Suppose you jog for 15 minutes and burn of a couple hundred calories. That's the equivilant of two cokes, or, maybe a half a Twinkie.

Water weight should be disregarded on a weight loss regimen. In fact, water helps move food through the digestive system and eliminate waste. Water also helps the body absorb the nutrients in needs to stay healthy.

• Bonnie

Well everyone is different...I am gaining too much weight too but mine has been the last 6-8 weeks and Im in 3rd trimester so its cause Im eating too much I think lol I am starting to choose healthy low calorie foods to snack on and making sure I have a walk each day...You could try that. Remember if it bothers you, you can lose it afterwards too...I wouldn't be TOO careful when you are pregnant just try to eat as healthy as you can and get some light excercise each day. Congrats. =)

• minx64

As a medical provider we were always taught that "water follows sodium" so basically too much sodium isnt good..your body will retain more fluids thus more weight.....everyone needs sodium in their body but too much isnt good

• WC

Salt also leads to water retention, this weight gain.

It will make your body retain moisture, thus gaining weight.

IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT YOU NEED TO ELIMINATE SALT AS IT RETAINS WATER CHECK WITH YOUR DR AND DRINK LOTS OF WATER AT LEAST 6 8OZ GLASSES ADAY

Source(s): JKPOET

It doesnt.

see site below...