How long will eggs last in the refrigerator?

How long after the sell-by date will eggs stay good in a refrigertor and is there any way to tell if they're bad other than breaking them open and smelling them? I want to make some chicken salad and I need a hard-boiled egg, but I usually only eat egg-beaters and the package on this pack of eggs had a... show more How long after the sell-by date will eggs stay good in a refrigertor and is there any way to tell if they're bad other than breaking them open and smelling them?

I want to make some chicken salad and I need a hard-boiled egg, but I usually only eat egg-beaters and the package on this pack of eggs had a sell-by date of 7-05-2006. The fridge is really chilly on the inside, so do you think that it'll still be good?
Update: *It is marked with a packed on date and a sell by date. It doesn't have a use by date.
Update 2: Thanks everyone! I dropped it in a deep mixing bowl filled with water and it sank. It wasn't like a rock at the bottom, one end bobbed a little, but it stayed on the bottom. Time for some chicken salad and sour cream muffins, yay!