Vacation in New Zealand!!!?

Any ideas on good places to go or things to see in New Zealand?

Favorite Answer

http://southisland.blogspot.com/

The South Island has amazing things to see and do. NZ is pretty much the adventure capital of the world, so no matter what part you go to, or what time of year, you'll find a lot. But here's a list of some pretty cool stuff.

Te Anau / Milford Track / Routeburn Track / Fiordland Nat'l Park: This area, in the Southwest part of the South Island is full of high alpine peaks, hidden waterfalls (including the 7th tallest in the world - Sutherland), gorgeous trails, and dense, lush rainforest scenery. It's also home to Doubtful and Milford Sounds, two of the most scenic fiords in the world. Te Anau is a great 'base camp' town - with budget to intermediate levels of accomodation, and plenty of places to gear up. Milford Track - a 4 day walk is billed as 'the finest walk in the world', while the Homer Tunnel on the way to scenic Milford Sound was dug entirely by hand.

2) Dunedin: Gaelic for Edinburgh, this lively college town is a piece of Scotland transplanted. Visit Speight's brewery for a lovely taste of the famous New Zealand beer. While you're here, arrange for one of the many wildlife (sea, coast, or inland) tours available in the city. Being of moderate size, Dunedin boasts world class accomodations, as well as plenty of places for the budget traveler. On your way out of town, don't forget to have a look at the steepest street in the world!

3) Nelson - Marlborough: Although I never made it there myself, it is a breathtaking area on the North part of the South Island. It includes hip-funky artsy towns, 2 national parks, and a host of activities.

4) Kaikoura: On of the world's premiere whale-watching destinations, this coastal town is a must see for any sea-life enthusiast. Specialty tours include a 'Diving with Dolphins' snorkel trip that allows you to see our mammalian friends up close and personal.

5) Drive: The roads on the South Island are great - one lane bridges, high mountain passes, breathtaking scenery, and an abundance of short walking trails positioned alongside the road. You could take the bus, or fly, but it's so much better to rent a car and live the adventure.

6) Speaking of Adventure: Activities that locals and tourists alike insist visitors to New Zealand try include: Bungee jumping, Jet-boating, Whale watching / cruising a sound, Tramping (hiking to us, but more fun!), spelunking / cave rafting, and zorbing (think rubber hamster wheel down a mountainside). And that's just a primer - there is so much to see and do in NZ, it's literally overwhelming!

7) Christchurch: The biggest city on the South Island, CC is a wonderfully cultured town, reminiscient of Oxford in England. It's got great shopping, great nightlife, and great fun. The city is large enough that just about anything can be found here, but still has an almost quaint and very welcoming feel to it. Don't forget to seek out the botique shops and find an English-style pub while you're in town. World class accomodation and hostels galore are available.

As you can see - I get really excited about the South Island. I went almost 4 years ago, but I can still feel it when I think about it. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but I feel it will get you to some places you should definitely check out while you're there.

Have a great vacation!

Source(s): Lived it, loved it.

try down south. the country gets friendlier the further from auckland you get:) christchurch is pretty, dunedins good for half a week. try visiting some of the beaches and arts venues. take in a new zealand play if you can, some a fantastic. if you want to see some of the native culture that will set you back and is tailored to tourist go to rotorua. if you want to use your more common sense, go to some of the smaller towns in the north island get friendly with the locals and they might help. it will some you the real maori culture rather than the tourist version.

Go for a drive around the Coromandel peninsula, about 1.5 hr drive east of Auckland. Thats where I live. Nice scenery around here.

Not been yet but The Bay of Islands on North Island has been of interest to me and I'm hoping to go to NZ next year.

• hinch

its very mountainous. i'd say supply up by skill of the villages. they're so cool. also, carry multiple JACKETS. its chilly and moist interior the summer season. me and my friends made an similar mistake. its a lot hotter interior the iciness inspite of the actuality that. no human being thinks its chilly because once you imagine of nz, you imagine of hotter no matter if, yet i noticed that in case you bypass to the capital, its the southern maximum capital of the international so it receives the arctic's climate. yet its a good experience. have thrilling