Its been almost over 6 months since I got my tragus pierced, why does it hurt? Should I be worried?

It just started to hurt again this week. Its really sensitive. I was thinking maybe I slept on it wrong or maybe I hit it with the phone. In any case should I be worried about infection?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If there is no redness,swelling or discharge associated with the tenderness you are probably not infected. This area becomes tender easily when pierced. If there are no signs of infection as listed above ...you can make the tenderness feel better by using a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball or gauze to bathe the area. Do expect the tenderness to return from pressure on the earring ....phone, earphones, sleep patterns etc.

Interesting...I didn't even know that little piece of cartilage had a name! In any case, I would only be worried about it if it gets red, hot, or begins to ooze pus. These would be signs of infection and should be checked out by a doctor. If it's just sore, it's possible you tugged on the piercing somehow (as you suggested) and created traction that injured the cartilage. Perhaps you should take the stud (or whatever you have there) out for a little while (like a day or so) to help the sensitivity. Put a bit of peroxide or rubbing alcohol on it and leave it open. After 6 months it shouldn't close up.

• ?

It could be infected also. I had mine pierced and had to take it out. The best place to have it pierced would be a professional piercing place that actually does tongue, belly piercing etc. They use a hollow needle and I'm sure it hurts a lot less then a piercing gun. Try sea salt to cleanse it. I would give it at least a week or so if I was still having problems then I would take it out let it grow up and then see a professional piercing person. You can get sea salts as Wal-Mart and should be able to purchase them at any drug store. Also professional piercing places sell it as well.Experience and have other piercings. I have a belly and tongue piercing. Done professionally w/ a hollow needle. No pain. Therefore it suffices to say get it done by professionals NOT "gun hoe" piercing people!

Source(s): Experience and have other piercings.

It can take up to a year for the Tragus piercing to completely heal, check it out on wikpedia the info was very thorough.

Source(s): Wikpedia

If you start to notice some discolor or the presence of pus and blood, then you should worry. As of now, take it out for a bit, clean the area REALLY well, clean the jewelry and then place it back in after its had time to air out a bit.

• Ya-sai

Don't know what tragus is. BUT concerning piercing you need to pass white spirit over the hold daily until it heals......

What's a tragus?

It sounds like you pierced your pet dinosaur.

Be careful, angel. They bite.

Rawr!!

it may be having a hard time healing if you are bothering it while you are asleep. Make sure you are keeping it clean (cleaning twice a day at the least) and never touch it unless you wash your hands first.

You should be more worried about looking like a fool. However, if your face so ugly that you need to direct attention away from it, I understand.

It may be touching a nerve. I would get that looked at to be safe.