Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Small dog maintenance questions?

what kind of maintenance is there in having a small dog is it like my big husky feed him, love him, brush him , and bath him?

what do you think it cost per week to own a small dog?

I heard that small dogs get sick more then big ones and have to go to the vet more is that true?

would a small dog be protectful of my house and me?

Favorite Answer

Yeah, smal dogs are just big dogs in little packages.

I own a minature poodle and he's never been sick before.

All you need to do for them is keep their claws trimmed, [if you get a long-haired dog] keep their coat free of tangles and matts, bathe, play with them, ect.

Smaller dogs typically do have alot of energy so as puppies they will always want to play and may need to go to the restroom more than a larger breed puppy would.

I have a golden retriever and a chihuaha. They are both great.. The big dog costs about 30 bucks a mo. (Food, heartguard, bathing, occasional sickness) My little dog costs about 30 bucks every 3 - 4 months. She weighs about 9 lbs. and eats much smaller portions than the big one. She is 8 yrs. and I have been fortunate.. she has hardly gone to the vet at all. So.. my big dog is much more costly than my small dog. OH... and the small one barks at everything.. She is a great guard dog.. ( She thinks)

It depends on what type of small dog you get. Chihuahua. w/ short hair is not much maint. an going to the vet is cheaper than a large dog b/c of the quantity of medicine to intake. Rather than a large dog b/c it's bigger.I have 3 dogs. Chihuahua(pebbles) chihuahua/min pincher(bambam) and a English Mastiff (Wilma). they all eat Nutro choice small bites (lam&rice). An it works, any food from grocey store is crap food. It's like us eating mcdonalds every day we can surive but no newtrision to run our bodys. All dogs are protectful in some way or another it depends on how you the alpa raises the dog. All my dogs bark when they see some one pull in the yard to let me know. An chuchi. are one people dogs most of the time.

It all depends on the breed. You need to do your research before getting a small dog-some are prone to illness. I have a small dog from the SPCA who has chronic dry eye and cleaning her eyes daily and buying drops does get expensive. But most small dogs just require loving and food. Just do your research.

As far as being protectful-most small dogs are barkers and protectors, but are easily kicked out of the way or scared away. Don't use a small dog to protect-use a rottwhiler. They are actually quite friendly, but can intimidate.

Only thing I can say, be sure that the size and color of the dog is sufficient enough to play tetherball at night. And start with a puppy. WHEN, not IF, but WHEN your frustration level reaches the point of "getting rid of it and disposing of the body," young dogs and puppies are much more tender than older dogs. And to avoid unnecessary veterarian bills, keep the f*ck*r away from rat traps!

I have a small Maltese and it is not to hard to care for him. It's pretty much the same as having a big dog. I think that it is about 10 dollars a week to take care of him. He is so protectful of my house and me. If he hears anything suspiscious he barks. I suggest getting a Maltese. Good Luck!

My son has a pug and she is a wonderful pet. She is playful, smart, loving and very little maintenance. Just food, water, play, walks and pug-hugs! I recommend this dog to anyone wanting a small pet that you can take to lots of places with you. They do shed so you will have to vacuum but that's the only problem.. and you get that with most dogs. They also seem to get along with other dogs/pets.

I have a small dog and she is not high maintenance at all. It depends on the breed, but i find small dogs to brak alot more than big dogs do.

All dogs shed, I have found that the smooth coated (like the pug) shed more than long coated dogs. Buy a stuffed toy, very low maintenance.

I have a 3 pound chihuahua and it doesn't cost that much, cleaning after him is easy and he's so small he can't chew up furniture or break stuff. On the other hand my Australian Shepard, she's a hell raiser always chewing on stuff, knocking things over and has the appetite of a monster.