What's going to happen? My vehicle was stolen with the keys inside.?

My 2001 Subaru Impreza was stolen last night and like an idiot I left the keys in the car. In my defense, I'm currently taking medication which makes me drowsy and I passed out on the couch with the intent of going to the store later. When I woke up in the middle of the night I went to bed thinking nothing of the keys..

Fast Fwd to this morning. Car is gone and I've reported it solen. Told the Sheriff and USAA that I did leave the keys in and explained my circumstances. Sheriff said it happens... USAA said they'll have someone in touch with me within 24 hours.

Is USAA going to cover my vehicle in the event it is not recovered or totaled?

I should probably note: I do have full-coverage insurance w/ a 500 dollar deductable.

Favorite Answer

i wouldnt worry about it. having the keys will cause less damage anyway once they recover the car. I cant see why the insurance company would not cover it. The car was still stolen no matter how you look at it and the coverage for theft was paid for by you. You should be reimbursed for anything that happens minus the $500.

Good Luck

Read your policy. It probably has some clause in it about "due vigilance in protecting the car from claim." somewhere in the small print. You may be assigned some blame if it's not recovered or recovered with damages that will reduce the amount the insurance will pay.

cars are not generally covered if they are stolen with the keys in them. Hope the police find the car