Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Favorite Answer

BECAUSE THEY WERE RETARDS. RETARDS ALWAYS WEAR HELMETS TO PROCTECT THEMSELVES FROM THEMSELVES.

I am going to go out on a limb and post everyone's answers that are on top of me....Ready???

If they failed their mission (crash into 'enemy' ships or interests) they had a better chance of making it back safely and without injury.

to look like soldier

I don't believe they did. I have seen a number of Japanese film strips from that era and you generally see them being blessed and getting into their flying bombs with those white and red cloths tied about their heads.

Almost a funny question though. :-)

cause if there was an oil leak or something broke before they were close to their target they would be protected enough in order to reach and destroy their targets. at least that is what I think

I think you may have already asked this question once. Anyway, I'll give the same answer I did the first time I saw it.

The kamikazi pilots, just like all the WW2 pilots, wore goggles. The leather helmets acted as an anchor point for the straps holding up the goggles.

To keep their heads from freezing. Helmets in that era were made of fur-lined leather and were solely to keep the head warm. Military aircraft of that era had no climate control systems at all so the only protection from the elements that the aircrews had was their clothing.

also as a communication device,, thats where the headset was

Why is this question asked every week?Read the old ones!

wanted to go out in style.

That was the hottest style in T-town! (Tokyo)

These were actually not helmets but leather caps with speakers phones built in. These were tight fit as during sharp manuvers or banking a normal headphone might slip away. So under all critical gavitational pulls the speakers remain attached to their ears...to do their jobs perfectly...

Almost a funny question though. :-)

• cause if there was an oil leak or something broke before they were close to their target they would be protected enough in order to reach and destroy their targets. at least that is what I think

wanted to go out in style.