Are we Americans doomed to live sedentary, desk jobs?

Have we as a society "advanced" to the point where the only way to make decent money is to sit behind a desk in some cubicle? Why cant jobs that require moderate-strenuous physical activity be appreciated in this society with a decent wage?

**Grammatical Error in Question**

Should read....

Are we Americans doomed to work sedentary, desk jobs?

Favorite Answer

Those sedentary desk jobs require more training and work to achieve than a labor job, and the market for people qualified to take those jobs demands that they are paid more. It sucks, because the hardest working people get paid the least and are probably unhappy about it, and the most underutilized people are unhappy because of the jobs they work yet get paid the most, so in the end, we're all screwed.

Well, I work at a desk job and I don't get paid very well. But I love what I do and I'm good at it. I think sometimes the pay doesn't matter as much as being happy where you're at. If you're not happy where you work, no amount of money will make it better. That's my experience. I know physical jobs that do pay very well and the people who do them are good at it. I'm not a physical type person. I love to hike and swim and walk and bike, but when it comes to doing something for 8 - 10 hours a day, I don't have that kind of stamina! The downside to desk jobs, your rump falls asleep if you don't get up and move often enough during the day!

• tman

You are right but you can also see a trend of the cubicle work going over seas as well. Trade labor and service sector will soon be the only American jobs left. Skilled trades such as carpenters brick layer and electricians are still making a good wage. If you can find a manufacturing job in America you had better look quick because that is going down fast also.

It's called progress and it's making our butts bigger. We as a society have to realize this and change what we've been doing for the last 300 years. We need to eat less fatty foods and move our bodies more. Maybe the next generation will be better at it than the current one.

You haven't hired a plumber recently?Most skilled craftsmen make pretty good money,but if medical costs keep going up,watch for scaled pricing,a program which would allow billing based on ability to pay.Turn about is fair play.

Seriously, in answer to your question, we seem to have strange values here.We hesitate to pay teachers more money, when they are in charge of one of the most important assets we possess.We throw money at CEO's and BOD's at the expense of the very corporations they are supposed to be improving,to the point that they cut workers benefits in order to pay for golden parachutes."It's a mixed up crazied up shook up world."

I think some jobs outside the office cubicle do pay very well, and those are the people who wouldn't want to work anywhere else, but outside, not stuck inside.

• Lisa

I think it'll come to a point where most of our jobs aren't safe. Outsourcing to other countries for cheap labor is the republican way of life. At least the president's job is safe. Maybe we should all run for office.

Yes

• WC

Most desk jobs are being downsized to foreign countries, count your blessings you still have a job.

Because all of those jobs are being moved to other countries.