~Mrs.C
~Mrs.C asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

During the ceremony when it is said...speak now or forever hold your peace ...do they stop the wedding???

OK now when you are getting married and the priest / minister says is there any reason these two should not be joined in holey matrimony speak now or forever hold your peace....

AND SOMEONE STANDS UP AND REJECTS..........

do they really stop the wedding???? seriously!

that would suck if someone did that

Favorite Answer

They don't stop the wedding due to someone rejecting it, but the priest questions the bride to be or groom to be if they must go on. They don't actually stop the wedding unless the bride or groom would say maybe this is not going to work, so its all up to the bride and groom, but I have never seen this happen.

This is an old tradition... It works like this. At the wedding the brides family sits on one side of the church, the grooms on the other. If a party on one side recognizes a party on the other as their relative then they are obligated to point that out. When the question is asked "...speak now or forever hold your peace" that's the time they are to speak. It was illegal to marry close family members, but the record keeping was not so good. This was how the problem was solved.

Speaking only from my experience, if someone had objected at my wedding my brothers and my wife's brothers would have dragged them out and slapped them around some, and the ceremony would have barely skipped a beat.

They would stop to let the objecting person explain their reasoning. Then you can continue on or the wedding stops completely.

yep, untill it is worked out or the person that ejects is removed. But they are in tilted to speak to that person.

Yes they would stop for a moment and ask why....then con't if no one else objected! but yes i agree that would suck!

only if the bride or groom back out.