what is sokotash?

could it be a misture of boiled maize and beans

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

4 strips bacon, diced (optional)

1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)

1 10-oz. package frozen corn kernels

1 16-oz. package frozen lima beans

4 tbsp. unsalted butter

3/4 cup milk

Salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in large saucepan until crisp; drain thoroughly, reserving enough grease to sauté the onions. Sauté the onion until soft. Add the lima beans and water per package directions. Cook until slightly tender; add the corn and cook until beans are done. Thoroughly drain the water. Add the bacon bits and butter; combine until melted. Add the milk and stir throughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is the PA Dutch way, but there are many variations (e.g. pimentos, etc.) depending on the region.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Succotash (from the Native American Narraganset language, msikwatash) is a food dish consisting primarily of lima beans and corn (maize), possibly including pieces of cured meat. This method of preparing vegetables became very popular during the Great Depression in the United States. It was sometimes cooked in a casserole form, often with a light pie crust on top as in a traditional pot pie. In some places in the American south any mixture of vegetables prepared with lima beans and topped with lard or butter is called succotash.

Recipe

Serves two.

[edit]

Ingredients

* lima beans, fresh, 1 cup

* corn kernels, fresh, 1 1/2 cups

* butter, 2 tblspns

* cream, 1/4 cup

* pepper, 1/4 tspn

* salt, 1/2 tspn

[edit]

Method

1. Drain any liquid from corn and lima beans.

2. Steam lima beans for 10 minutes or until beans are soft.

3. Add all ingredients to a large frying pan.

4. Sautée until corn is cooked, but do not allow vegetables to disintegrate.

5. Serve immediately.

• 1 decade ago

corn and Lima beans

and it's succotash

• 1 decade ago

I wondered what that was years ago. Now I know.

"Thufferin' thuccotash!" - Sylvester.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i believe it is a traditional -native american- "stew" like food---i have had it , and it is quite tastey.

Source(s): helped in a kitchen at a pow-wow hosted by the nipmuk tribe in massachusetts..(grafton)
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.