Is the speed of light slowing down?if yes , why?

Favorite Answer

Within a given medium the speed of light is a constant.

The weird thing is that photons (light particles) travel in a probabilistic way. Some photons arrive early, and some arrive late. It is just that the probability of a photon arriving 'on time' in near infinite. Weirdly, the photon that arrives early has not travelled faster than the speed of light.

The whole quantum mechanics thing is weird.

• PTP

No, it's a constant speed.

However, there has been a discovery, where scientists can actually speed up light. This was not thought possible before.

Also, when light goes through solid objects it slows down. But in a vacuum, it goes at the same speed.

No the speed of light is constant every where & it can't change but light cannot pass through some substances like car glasses (dark ones) It doesn't mean that light velocity is slowing down but the intensity to penitrate through that glass decreases.

Good question. Scientists are trying to figure this out right now. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in our current understanding of physics that says that the speed of light has to stay the same for all time.

Again, this is pretty cutting edge as far as I have heard so I don't claim to be even close to correct, but that's the synthesis of what I remember reading.

Who told you that the speed of light is slowing down? Scold that person, it does not.

at the speed of light matter is energy. that is why photons have no mass. If the speed drops matter starts to show mass but less energy. all mass no energy is the singularity similar to a black hole. all massy low energy is dark matter. the speed of light changes as it is affected by matter and by gravity. This is seen as dual star images in space where the light comes through a gravity lens. Also seen in the shifting of star positions in distant observations that have high mass objects in between us and them.

Why would it slow down? I think light will always travel at the same rate

No. Speed of light is universal constant.