Using a Wireless Internet Bridge and an added Antenna Is it possible to connect to Multiple Hotspots ?

I would like to connect to two hotspots at once using a bridge. One connection is nearby and the other is less than a mile away. One connection belongs to a friend of mine and the other is that of my parents,so I do have permission to use their connections.I would just like to know if I could connect to both and combine the two for a little faster connection.

Favorite Answer

You can connect very easily to both hotspots using a wireless point to point or a wireless point to multi point solution. There are endless manufacturers of products like these. But the good ones are on the commercial scale, not the consumer based. I do this stuff every day and its not a solution that is inexpensive.

If I were to do this for myself, I would start with a basic wireless survey. Questions, (not all) would be, do I have a clear line of sight? Did I do a spectrum analysis of other signals (noise) present? Mounting sites of the dishes, mounting solutions, such as non pen mounts, etc? If you were asking me, I would ask you for your budget. If it was under 5K, I would not hesitate on asking you to look elsewhere.

There are different types of combiners and metering applications for bandwidth. I often use these for fail over applications and redundancy. An example would be I have 2 internet connections. One is a business class cable solution, and the other is a S DSL line through qwest.

Any more questions, just shoot me an email.

Good Luck.

While you can connect to both, you would need some way of load balancing in order to use them at the same time. Redundancy would be a piece of cake but combining them for double bandwidth is not. Generally hardware is necessary to do load balancing, multiple NICs etc. If anyone know of a software solution I would also be interested.