What is a good government job that involves working out in the public with people?

I am starting to get this feeling that this is the direction I will end up in later in life but I just need some pointers to get me there.

Favorite Answer

There are many. Your choice depends on your interests, and abilities of course.

There are people who work at Child Protective Services, trying to protect child, and there is also Adult Protective Services, which specializes in helping abused adults, and work frequently, but not exclusively, with the elderly.

Welfare workers help the less fortunate keep a roof over their heads, food in their children's stomachs, and insure they have access to medical services.

There are people who work at Child Support Services trying to help collect money from dead beat dads.

The County and or State you live in should also have people who track the insect populations movements, to protect agriculture and such.

I had a friend who did this, and he enjoyed it, as it was very much an out-doors job, much like the park rangers mentioned above.

School teachers at public schools are government employees, as are policemen, firemen, and paramedics. All admirable occupations.

The list simply goes on and on. I would suggest you go to your local county office, and see what jobs they have available. Not only is it a decent place to work, where you can be helping people instead of trying to sell them something they don't need, or can't afford, but quite often it can allow for lateral transfers if you want to try something new while maintaining your pension.

Good luck, and I hope you find something you like, public service needs all the good people it can find.

Park or Forest Ranger always looked nice.

the U.S. Forest is one job that gets you outdoors with people .As does the National Park Service.

there is no such job. if you work for the government you won't be working with people or for the people.

Social worker so that you can serve the people.

be elected rep. from your area.