what is the difference between Sybase SQL and regular SQL?

I know there are a bunch of different types of SQL, but isn't there a regalur type and is Sybase much different? ALSO is it S(ee)base or S( EYE )base

Favorite Answer

SQL is Structured Query Language.

There is an ANSI standard SQL.

However, most database software manufacturers have variations on the standard.

Microsoft SQL Server has a version called T-SQL, Oracle's version is called PL-SQL.

I don't know Sybase (pronounced [saibes] IPA or S(eye)base) but I suspect that their implementation of SQL also has some proprietary aspects to it.

SQL is the industry standard database query language used by most (if not all) relational database management systems (DBMS) on the market. Sometimes it's used incorrectly when what the user really means is SQL Server, one such DBMS, MySQL is another DBMS. MySQL is free and open source. SQL Server is a microsoft product. While there is a free version (SQL Server Express), the fully-featured version is not. However, it contains a great many features (reporting and integration services, etc.) as well as a robust user interface than MySQL doesn't.