Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHome Schooling · 1 decade ago

In the poem "God's Grandeur," the phrase "nor can foot feel, being shod" means?

GOD'S GRANDEUR

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.

It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;

It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil

Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?

Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;

And all is seared with trade; bleared,smeared with toil;

And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil

Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;

There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;

And though the last lights of the black West went

Oh, morning at the brown brink eastward, springs--

Because the Holy Ghost over the bent

World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

A. God cures all pain.

B. the poet can sense God from head to toe.

C. the earth is home for humans.

D. humans are out of touch with nature.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

D. humans are out of touch with nature.

The soil is bare and smudged, but human feet are shod (wearing shoes) and cannot feel this.

Hopkins is saying that we've become spiritually alienated from God's creation. The preceding generations who "have trod, have trod, have trod" - leading to the (present) shod observation - implies that Hopkins means to say that this alienation is ever-increasing.

• 4 years ago

The Bible has had it precise for millenniums. “A stay canine is larger off than a lifeless lion. For the living are extensive wide awake that they'll die; yet as for the lifeless, they are extensive wide awake of no longer something in any respect, neither do they anymore have wages, as a results of fact the remembrance of them has been forgotten.” (Ecclesiastes 9:4, 5) Does that mean there is somewhat no desire for the lifeless? Jesus Christ pontificate approximately resurrection to life on a restored paradise earth. His Jewish follower Martha, whose brother, Lazarus, had only died, believed interior the resurrection, for she stated of Lazarus: “i be conscious of he will upward push interior the resurrection on the final day.” (John 11:24) To this, Jesus responded: “i'm the resurrection and the life. He that exercises faith in me, even in spite of the indisputable fact that he dies, will come to life; and all and sundry it somewhat is living and exercises faith in me will by no skill die in any respect. Do you have self belief this?” (John 11:25, 26) in the previous, he had stated: “do no longer ask your self at this, as a results of fact the hour is coming wherein all those interior the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, people who did good issues to a resurrection of life, people who practiced vile issues to a resurrection of judgment.” John 5:28, 29; Luke 23:40 3. As you will discover there will be a resurrection of the two the righteous. and the unrighteous. Please do extra examine in you Bible to get an enhanced understanding.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

D

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.