Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

I'm moving into a small apartment with a narrow living room. How can I make it look sophisticated and larger?

The apartment is a one bedroom with a living room. The kitchen area is so small that the fridge is in the dining area. I can paint the walls, but only light colors. Also, I can share pictures if you're as intrigued as I.

Favorite Answer

Paint the walls white/very light as it will bounce the light around and make it appear bigger.

Try not to use large patterns on anything as they will make everyting around them look smaller.

If you can afford it, get a flat-screen TV as it will save space and be further away from the couch. Use smaller furniture as large pieces will increase the feeling of closeness.

Avoid clutter as much as possible and populate the place with clean, crisp lines with just a few brighter pieces to liven the place up. A good bright area rug on the floor may also help.

Don't center all of your living room furniture. Create two separate seating arrangements on both ends of the living room area, with small area rugs underneath. Find one fairly large mirror and hang it on the wall opposite the door. (Not directly across from it, mind you, but somewhere in the middle). Choose several small pieces of framed art, perhaps modern abstract for a more sophisticated look. Hang them randomly across the walls, not in a specific grouping. One large piece of art at the far end of the room should add some depth.

As far as the painting is concerned, I'd go with a light honey and a darker golden yellow that complements it well. An interior designer or paint store clerk should be able to suggest two shades which blend together well. Purchase one of those two-headed foam brushes and use short X strokes to create a professional two-toned look. Some painters may suggest painting the entire room with a fairly dark base color, then proceeding with the blended lighter colors. You could also consider light blue or tans.

Consider furnishing the dining area in a definite theme, like a 50s diner or French Bistro or whatever. Match everything to that theme, from the table to the lighting to the wall decorations. For more dramatic appeal, consider track lighting focused on the artwork.

Keep furniture in the living room to a minimum and use mirrors to make the room look bigger. Keep the paint neutral, and have a few colorful prints on the wall.

I'd put up a wall of mirrors, At first glance, the living room would seem twice as large as it actually was. And if you put *another* wall of mirrors on the opposite wall, it would seem like you lived in an infinite living room!

Maybe a monochromatic theme? All shades of gray? or white?

I think neutral colors would look best? What are your likes and dislikes?

Mirrors can add the illusion of being larger.

mirrors, candles, docrative pillows, insence