What are some good historical fiction books to read?

I dont really care about the time period (i am currently working on With Fire and Sword which is about polish history)

any good books about american history or ancient anything really thanks

Best Answer

The Emperor books by Conn Iggulden are great. They're a fictional account of Julius Caesar's life and adventures.

Phillipa Gregory is a good author and writes about the Tudor period. He titles include, The Other Boleyn Girl.

Sarah Dunant writes well about Renaissance Italy and her titles include, The Birth of Venus.

• I'd recommend the Devil in the White City - which is actually true but reads like great fiction. It's about the Chicago World's Fair and is a great book.

Try the Princes of Ireland and the Rebels of Ireland (first significantly better than second) by Edward Rutherford

I'd also recommend Ghost Soldiers, about the Bataan Death Camps. It too is true, but is written by a true craftsman of the language.

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling is a great choice if you like Italian history. There is another book, also by Ross King, set in Florence called Bruneschelli's Dome.

Last, Krakatoa is a fascinating look at the history of the dutch colonies and local people of Java and Sumatra up to one of the single largest volcanic eruptions the world has ever seen.

Source(s): I have reviewed most of these for Amazon and you'll find more detail there.

Read the "Masters of Rome" series by Colleen McCullough.

"Byzantine" by Stephen Lawhead is pretty good too.

Ken Follet writes a lot of historical fiction as well, "Pillars of the Earth" is exceptional.

"Shogun" by James Clavell is great tooi

Try out James Michener, I think, if you are interested in the settling of the American west.

Mary Renault writes a lot of Greek in the age of heroes stuff (Theseus and people of that stature)

I would also suggest reading some of the Classics (The Illiad, The Oddyssey, and The Aneid, and the Voyage of the Argos by Apollonius) Althought it's not historical fiction per se, it's a great read

Robert Graves - "I, Claudius" and "Claudius, the God"

"The Autobiography of Henry VIII" (forgot who wrote it but it's very good)

"Burr" and "Empire" by Gore Vidal are great.

Even thought they are 19th century contemporary lit. They're still great and everyone should read them: "Les Miserables" and "The Count of Monte Cristo"

That's off the top of my head, maybe i'll remember some more and edit this post.

Have a nice day.

Have a Nice Day.

A really good book to read is The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. It's basically about the horrors of war during the American Civil War.

Another really good one is All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, which is about the horrors of war during WWI. I can recommend many more but those are the ones that stick out in my head. Happy reading!

I trust Bud, not chum, decision the celebs, Pillars of the Earth, In My fingers, Memoirs of a Holocaust Rescuer. indexed lower than are some more suitable. previous the Western Sea, Avi The Bloody Jack sequence, by skill of L.A. Meyer. Bloody Jack can be a lady. Orphaned in London on the coolest of the 1700's, she lives with a street gang, then disguises herself as a boy and is employed onto a British Naval deliver. large experience, large characters, humor, suspense, large thrilling. Bloody Jack, L.A. Meyer The Curse of the Blue Tattoo lower than the Jolly Roger interior the tummy of the Bloodhound Mississippi Jack something by skill of the Collier Brothers or James Michener Samuria Shortstop, Gratz The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Speare The Bronze field, Speare Harris & Me, Gary Paulsen faraway from Chicago, p.c..

Its not historical fiction, however it is an enlightening book, The Rape of Nanking. The book describes the Japanese massacre during the early invasion of China in the second world war.

• 1812 by David Nevin is wonderful.

It looks into the era of the 1812 between the US and Britain. It is based on historical fact, but goes into the private lives of several famous US presidents, leaders, etc.

It is very personal with these people, therefore he claims it is fiction.

That whole Polish trilogy is awesome.

Try The Killer Angels by Michael Sharaa

Gates of Fire-Steven Pressfield

About the Battle of Thermopylae.

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie,sorry dont know the author,

The Witch of Blackbird Pond,