James R asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

What is the Saddest Song you ever heard? ever heard?

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones - He sings about loving this woman the day they buried her.

My choices are : "Alone Again, Naturally" by Gilbert O'Sullivan - Just very lonely song in which he sings about his mom dying from grief after his father died.

Can you come up with any more depressing song then those two?

Favorite Answer

I agree "He stopped loving her today" is the saddest song ever and can't be topped. But "Everybody hurts" by REM, Travelin Soldier" by the Dixie Chicks, and "Hurt" by Johnny Cash are hearbreakers too.

This is a song from many years ago....

Artist C.w. Mccall

Album Roses For Mama

It is talking about a little boy whose mother passed away and he wanted to buy her some roses for her birthday but didn't have enough money to buy any.

I do agree with the person that answered with Johnny Cash song Hurt. That was a really good one.

Not just hicks and hippies can write/sing sad songs you know.

Empty Garden- Elton John and I'm NOT a Lennon fan

More Than Likely- PM Dawn and Boy George It's just pue cynicism with a smattering of possible optimism

Is it a Crime? Sade and I hate and have no faith in romantic love

Another Lonely Christmas - Prince (his girlfriend dies in front of him on Xmas)

Source(s): My vast knowledge and love of music

Travelling Soldjier by Dixie Chicks

• Hurt by Johnny Cash

Cats In The Cradle by GnR?

Boz Scaggs w/ Booker T - "As the Years Go Passing By"

Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Hornsby - "I Can't Make You Love Me"

Brad Paisley and Alison Krause - "Whiskey Lullabye"

I have to agree with you on Alone Again, Naturally ...very sad song. I always thought Empty Garden ( Hey Hey Johnny) by Elton John was very sad.

• Erika

Concrete Angel by Martina McBride Alyssa Lies by Jason Michael Carroll existence Ain't continuously alluring by Gary Allan any of them. there are probably sadder ones, yet i do not take heed to a range of of unhappy songs.

• dje

The one that gets me now is Nickelback's Far Away. It is a great song about longing; but has a personal meaning to me since my wife of 21 years has passed away and is so Far Away. And being far away and wishing to be with her and to have had a little more time and willing to give more and all to have that.

Flowers by Billy Yates