Sean D asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

what is the translation of the sword?

• C
    Best Answer

♡You want to know what the sword says right?

FIRST of all, the kanji on the blade image are in reverse! (Turned as a mirror image! Like Я - R)

It should read "今古有神奉志士" and IN THIS CASE I believe it's a reference to the movie 'The Last Samurai'.

(*The site you listed says; "Inspired by the movie "The Last Samurai"...) **So, I don't have to translate it, just telling you what they represent it as saying.

☆According to the movie it says; "I belong to the warrior in whom the old ways have joined the new." (This is how the sword in the movie is inscribed.)

If you saw the movie, does it ring a bell?

~BTW, I live in Japan and I'm on the train now, the young man on one side of me told me it's the sword from the movie, but the old man on the other side of me says it says 'Kokon kami aru...' In HIS opinion. But he couldn't even really make sense of it either.

☆PLEASE NOTE!! IF YOU ASK GENERAL JAPANESE PEOPLE TO TRANSLATE THIS THEY MAY HAVE DIFFICULTY DOING SO.

I'm told it's either very old kanji or...?

If you're still in doubt, you can easily contact the company by e-mail from that site and they will confirm this as being the inscription from the movie as well.

--I personally tend to be leery of Japanese kanji meanings I find on non Japanese sites. They never really seem to say what they're supposed to. In this case the company didn't even realize the pic was in reverse. Just my opinion.(*^o^*)

Source(s): Scroll down to paragraph 11; http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/06/opinion/06BENF.h...

According to the samurai it was the fighters spirit, the spirit of the samurai, if they gave their sword away it'd be like giving themselves into slavery or some such a thing, but i think to the knights it was just a weapon to beat things to a bloody pulp.

今古有神奉志士

jīn gǔ yǒu shén fèng zhì shì

You will also find a second half of the poem that Peter Liou wrote to match the 1st half of the poem. It is truly beautiful:

天地正气识英雄

tiān dì zhèng qì shí yīng xióng

An old man named, Peter Liou wrote it to match the 1st half of the poem. It is important to always have a poem in a pair with 2 phrases. He wrote the second phrase to make the poem complete. The literal translation for the 2nd half is:" In the heavens and the earth , the universe s good spirits will know who the true hero is. The universe will recognize a warrior with justice within."

I am not sure what you want it translated to. according to English dictionary's it is a long blade weapon. or " in the power of the sword "the military.

in the Bible Hebrew word in old testament was knife or cutting tool.

in most of the New testament Greek, it came from Machaira meaning Knife , Dirk, or Judicial punishment, in Revelations 6:8 it is Rhomphaia , Sabre or any Cutting Weapon Hope this helps

Source(s): "The Sword of Truth in the Bible is Gods Word"
  • _

lol!!!

He wants the kanji translated of course!!!

; )

I'll assume you want the 3 kanji at the top translated. If you want the other kanji translated, please say so - I'm ignoring it because there's rather a lot of it!

It's 'Bushidou'!

武士道 【ぶしどう】 (n) Bushido; samurai code of chivalry!

• lucky

The true word that will help you be victorious over sins and evils.

Don't understand. The site is an advert.

in my language alsif in arabic language

it's what the blind swordsman uses!