promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How can you find out if your computer is tapped?

I would like to know if there is a way to find out if someone has tapped into a high speed internet connection and what do you do if someone has tapped into your connection?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First of all: please realize that you asked a different question in your headline than in the body text of your posting.

There is software that can help you determine whether the security of your computer, your workstation, has been compromised. Such a software is called a "firewall" program. There are several good ones out there (Mc Afee Internet Security, Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security). If you do not already have a program like that, and if the security of your computer is your concern, download a copy of Zonealarm on the link I'm giving below. There is a free version available. Does not have all the bells & whistles of the commercial versions, but it's got what you need.

HOWEVER ... if you want to know whether your Internet connection has been "tapped" - that's a very different story. Tapping into an Internet communication is not that simple, but it is not impossible either. Most of the "hacking" or "cracking" incidents you hear actually are only possible because of user stupidity. Typical examples of that are users choosing predictable passwords (e.g. the name of your dog, your sweetheart of your child); sharing passwords with others; or making passwords "visible" to others (e.g. by writing them on Post-It notes); or by not changing passwords frequently (I change all of my passwords every month). If we could stop users acting stupid with passwords, 95% of all "hacking" incidents would fall away.

The way the Internet works is you send your information out in so called "packets". These packets are then forwarded from server to server until they arrive at the other computer you were communicating with. It is virtually impossible to tell whether somewhere along the travel route of these packets somebody was reading them or made copies of them. As I said above, this is not easy to do, but it's not impossible. And for you, it is practially impossible to tell.

If you are concerned about keeping your information private, here is what I recommend you to do:

(1) get an up-to-date anti-virus and an up-to-date firewall program on your computer, and make sure you install all patches to the Windows operating system you are running

(2) on the Internet, never give out any information you would not feel comfortable if it was public knowledge, unless you have a "secure" communication. Here is what this means practically:

- never send confidential information in a simple e-mail; that includes things like your address, phone number; social security #, credit card #, bank account #, etc. If you have to communicate these items, call the recipient by telephone and give these data. Or put them into a password protected Word document, send this document as an attachment, and call the recipient to give him/her the password

- if you are on a website where you have to give confidential information, only do this when your connection to that website is encrypted (look for the "Padlock" icon in your browser). Another way to tell: a website that opens an encrypted connection to your computer will have an address starting with "https://", not with "http://". The "s" indicates secure. If the connection is not secure, NEVER give out any confidential information

- if you are on a wireless connection, upgrade to a "G" type equipment, and install "WPA2" (the guys who sell the equipment to you can show you how to do that). Do not use equipment that runs the so called "802.11 (b)" standard.

Hope this helps!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

i recently got spammed and changed my password , will this be sufficient to continue without worrying.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Thankyou all for your answers and opinions.

• 4 years ago

Was curious on the answer to this as well

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

well are you running wireless ?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.