The Bush's own huge amounts of Eli Lilly stock, is that why it is illegal to sell generic AIDS meds to Africa?

Best Answer

It is not illegal to sell generic drugs in Africa, they just have to pay for them. If a company in Africa wants to sell generic drugs in Africa, they can buy a license from the patent owner to manufactor and sell the product, legally, in Africa. Get your facts straight please.

There are patents laws. Drug companies research develope and manufactor drugs for profit, Without the incentive of profit these drugs would have never been developed. Once the paten expires you can make generics.

If I invested billions of dollars in researching drugs and came up with a drug that was effective, you can bet your butt that I will try to get back every penny and then some

No. It's illegal there - and EVERYwhere - because of U.S. patent laws... you know... because profits are more important than treating people.

I've heard that rumor for years.