Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 decade ago

Why do they put magnets at the bottom of shower curtains? The tub isn't magnetic.?

Couldn't they just use a penny or a pebble or something? Why a magnet?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Now days, bathtubs are made of fiberglass, but not too long ago, they were all made of iron. The magnets wont stick to the majority of newer tubs, but the do still make iron tubs therefore, it is better to have magnets and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Source(s): I am a general contractor in New Orleans, and I deal with removal and reinstallation of all types of bathtubs and shower units.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Magnetic Shower Curtain

• sesser
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Shower Curtain Magnets

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You most certainly can wash a shower curtain with magnets or weights in a domestic washing machine. If you are worried about damage to the washing machine, just put the curtain in a pillow case and tie the top with a bit of string, however I don't think that will really be necessary. Let it dry either outside on the clothes line or hang it up immediately on it's pole or track and leave it pulled out in order to dry. It is a good idea to do this every time the shower is used in order to eliminate mould forming on the curtain. Only push it back to the wall when it is thoroughly dry.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Some tubs are magnetic - however the magnets in the bottom of the shower curtains are used as wieghts to help keep it in place.

• 1 decade ago

Actually a lot of tubs are, in fact, metal, cast iron, often, with a coating for color. Some are fiberglass and you're right, magnets won't stick to that, but the magnets still give the curtain weight so that it stays in place and doesn't blow around with the water and movement, and get water everywhere.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Many tubs are still metal and the magnet serves a dual purpose. First the magnet and a weight for the curtain. It's cost effective.

• 1 decade ago

Most all good bathtubs are cast iron or steel. If you have an acrylic tub then the magnets work as weights to help hold the curtain down in the tub.

• 1 decade ago

A lot of older tubs are made of metal and the magnets keep the water from sloshing out and hitting the floor. A lot of people die in their bathrooms from slips and falls in the shower, beleive it or not!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

some tubs are magnetic and somtimes its for the inner piping so the shower curtains can stay put

Source(s): i asked looked in a how and why things work book
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.