why do some black people insist on being called african-american?

if we have to call black people african-american, then white people should be called irish-american or somethin. black people have been in america almost as long as white people but we still act like they just moved here from africa. i say if your parents were born and raised in the u.s., you are straight up american. black or white.

oh wait...people are too sensitive now days. white people are worried if they call somebody black instead of african-american, they will be called a racist. im not saying either race is more sensitive, all of society is full of pussys.

hold up kymoni: you just said black people arent black they're brown. then in ur next sentence u said we should be called white. lol i guess ur the idiot here, cuz im definitely not white. sure, some people are pretty pale, but some people are pretty damn dark too lol.

lol omg kenya: how can u say black people are not accepted in america!!??? there are plenty of black people in america who get help that dont need it. i work in a grocery store and i see plenty of black people who use food stamps and dont need it. all black people want is gimme, gimme, gimme, just because their ANCESTORS (not themselves) were slaves. i dont owe u anything. i wasnt a slave owner and u arent a slave.

Favorite Answer

I agree with you, but people in general hear new terms or categorizations that they like to use because it's a bit different or they get caught up in the politically correct "web." I bet you a black person wouldn't be offended if you used the term black if they knew you had a choice to use african american. Why do some people favor the color blue over yellow -- just a choice or preference... that's my take!

Funny but true.. a good portion of real African-Americans that I know come from South Africa and are white. Personally I prefer to just be called by name but if you need to categorize then Black would be fine. I think political correctness and oversensitivity is a weird two headed snake that is corrupting the very essence of our multi-cultural society that is still trying to realize it has a long way to go to shake the stigma of past generations and subtle forms segregation that still exist. Also there are many "white" people who insist on being Irish-American, Italian-American, Polish-American... etc... which is just another way to seperate themselves from everyone else... but like you said.. we are all "straight up American" so let's just drop the hyphens and categories and give one another a big giant hug :)

Yes Black people have been in America just as long as white people, however we are still not accepted. America is just as racist as it was when Blacks first arrived.

As you know Black people have been called everything in the book. First we were N i g g e r then came *****, then came colored, then came black, and now the white man chooses to call us African-American. So this question should be asked to white people not Blacks. The white people are the ones that keep changing the label and course the unconscious Black people continue to accept it.....Well I am Black...born Black and will die Black.

As a non-American, I find this a terribly confusing issue. I always thought that America considered itself a melting pot as opposed to a cultural mosaic. So if your ancestors were from Africa, Europe and American Indian, you could conceivably call yourself African-American, Caucasian-American and/or Native-American.

Or, how about just American?

I appreciate the need for dark or very dark-skinned Americans to find an identity to latch on to. But the identity seems to be associated with a continent that has a predominantly ******* population. An African-American can be dark-skinned, or light-skinned. Perhaps the special identity they need acknowledgement for has to do with issues of slavery, just as some like some Highlands Clearances descendants like wearing kilts, eating haggis and playing the bagpipes.

I admire any group that wants to find an identity for themselves, but that identity should not necessarily be forced on others who share the same characteristics, like skin colour or skin tone, and it is unfair to limit descriptors to what is considered politically or socially correct.

Because after all the africans had to go thro in America it is respectfull to call them that if they wish to be called that. I don't think people should catarorize tho. I do agree with you about the born in US thing tho. But just because they are born here that doesn't change thier race/ethnics. But once again, you do have a good point on every one born in America should be called just plane American when it come down to general use.

In Africa Blacks and Whites born there call themselves African (yep even Whites born in Africa are called African).

As far as im concerned the only Americans who are African-American are American citizens who were born in Africa regardless of skin color.

For instance Dave Matthews and Teresa Heinz Kerry are White but they are African-Americans

First of all idiot. Why are asians who have been here plenty of generations not called asian american. Its fair to refer to african americans as brown people or african. Black people arnt even black they are Brown people get your facts straight and you are white or european, and to the guy about his story about a white guy who sues african american. That guy should be sued back he's not a native and will not be accepted like he wouldnt any other continent of a race like asia.If hes white and he goes to africa or was born there becuase he had european parents earlier looken for greediness that does not make him a true african and he will never be accepted. and thats right

I'm part Native American but I don't run around calling myself that. I call myself an American. I can appreciate my heritage without being angry or pompous. BTW for most govt. jobs, a Native American has to PROVE they're part Native American with papers. America is quite well diversified now, so let's just all call ourselves Americans!

I agree I don't walk around calling my self french-irish-indian, and there are those black folks that aren't african and I know a few and they get offended when you call them african-american. I know that using the work black is just not cool either so what should we call a colored person?

My favorite story was from about 2 years ago, a white college student from Africa ( so he was african) came to the US and wanted to join an african american group, and was not allowed, he sued them because he was actually more african than they were, since most of them had never even been to africa.

Because that's what we are. We are Africans descended from Africa, just like Mexican-Americans are Americans descended from Mexico and Chinese-Americans are Americans descended from China. No matter what you think what "blacks" as you call them should be called we are African-Americans and speaking as one, African-American is what I prefer to be called.