Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

What rights do guardians have to look into the possible misappropiation of funds in a minors trust?

My neice had a trust set up for her when her father died 13 years ago. Her paternal grandparents have been in charge of the funds. She is 15 and her maternal grandparents have custody of her. We have recent reason to believe all of these funds ($150,000 13 years ago) have been exhausted ofr the paternal grandparents use, not for my neice-she does not have access to the funds. What steps can her legal uardians take to look into the spending of funds from the trust? We are willing to take criminal and civil actio in the interest of my neice.

• Phil R
    Favorite Answer

I most states, the legal guardians of her can ask the Court to order an accounting. Depending on how the trust was set up, there may or may not have been a bond required of the trustees. Often, unfortunately, family members aren't required to post a bond for their performance.

Her guardians need to consult an attorney promptly for to find out how to best proceed. If you don't have an attorney, contact your local or state bar association and ask for a referral.

Source(s): 10+ years in the legal profession

It depends. This is the wrong place to ask such a question. Talk to a lawyer. I cannot suggest anything else. If it means anything to you then it should be worth 50-100 dollars for a consultation with a lawyer. Don't listen to anyone but a lawyer. Every state is different. Talk to a lawyer. After you read this answer, you should talk to a lawyer. Additionally, if you are looking into criminal charges you should speak to a law enforcement official. I almost forgot, talk to a lawyer. The best legal advice you can expect on yahoo is "talk to a lawyer".

I think you should contact a Lawyer about this but it sounds to me like Money from her Trust Fund is getting stolen

For free, call a lawyer and ask, i wouldnt trust anybody on here, bc this is a serious isssue, and needs to be taken in to professional hands.

Discuss this with a lawyer. Rights vary with every state and /or province.

Phil R is correct...right on the money. No pun intended.

all the rights allowed by law