thatlunatic asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do I get started showing dogs?

I have had an intrest in showing dogs sence I was a child I now am at a place in my life that I would like to take up the sport of showing and producing show dogs. I just need some advice on where to start and what I will need.

• jenn_a
    Favorite Answer

Pick up a copy of "Dog World" magazine, find the show listings, and visit a couple in your area. Figure out which breed(or breeds) you are interested in.

If you already know what breed you like, then zone in on those handlers/owners. Be aware that they are going to be very busy at a show, just compliment their dogs and ask for contact info. If the have time, they will talk to you there, but don't expect it. You can also contact breeders that have ads in the magazine, or through the breed club(find it at www.AKC.org). Ask lots of questions of any breeders you have contact with, soon you will find someone you click with. They will usually be very happy to take you on and mentor you.

Be aware that there is alot to know, you will not be an expert any time soon, but keep at it! Don't let any "dog snobs" deter you. They were beginners at one time, too!

A good book to read for "how to" is called "show me". I don't know the author, though. Also for a good mystery, with lots of dog show info thrown in, read any of Susan Conants books

There are many different ways to compete with dogs - traditional conformation shows, obedience trials, agility, field trials, etc. Check out "events" at www.akc.org

http://www.akc.org/events/index.cfm

Go to a lot of dog shows and talk to a lot of breeders and handlers BEFORE you get a dog. That way you won't be stuck with a dog that isn't good enough for what you want to achieve. The breed you choose should depend on your lifestyle. If you want a more specific recommendation, you'll need to say what your lifestyle is - apartment or house? Are you going to have kids or not? How much time are you willing to spend training, exercising, grooming and caring for the dog?

Don't start with a dog that needs a lot of grooming, like a Poodle or a Wire Fox Terrier. Grooming is an art that can take decades to get great at. Breeds like Rottweilers have so many dogs entered that the competition is brutal - you won't win very often, if ever. If the breed is too rare, you'll never find enough dogs competing to finish your championship.

Find out everything you can - you'll find that dog show people are very willing to share their knowledge with someone who asks intelligent questions and is willing to listen and learn. If you want to show dogs professionally, the best way to learn is to get a job as kennel help for a professional handler. You won't make much money and you'll work your tail off, but they will teach you everything from dog care to show handling to grooming.

If you're interested in obedience trials, you should join an obedience club and read some great books on training. (Try not to pick books randomly - there are a lot of bad books out there also!) These are some of my favorites and you can get them on Amazon.com

What All Good Dogs Should Know – Volhard http://www.volhard.com/

Dog Tricks : Eighty-Eight Challenging Activities for Your Dog from World-Class Trainers by Haggerty and Benjamin

Don't Shoot the Dog - Pryor

Training Your Dog: The Step by Step Method - Volhard

Dog Problems - Benjamin

Cesar's Way - Cesar Millan

Also, watch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel. Cesar Millan is the best trainer I've ever seen on TV - he doesn't train for shows, but he's great at understanding basic dog psychology.

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

Source(s): 28 years prof. trainer

Depending on your age Junior Showmanship is the best place to start. You are judged on your handling ability and the dog is not.

This allows you to work with a lesser quality dog and just work on your skills. Many owners will let juniors work with a retired or already championship dog.

They also have classes available that will train you how to show a dog and how to handle the dog and how to show it for the best look for that dog. They are very very helpful to take if you are trying to learn.

Check out an AKC show in your area or if you have some type of dog club in your area they will be happy to get you started.

Source(s): I am a dog trainer

Go to a local dog show and go up and down the rows and ask the owners/breeders/handlers some questions I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you some pointers. Good Luck and maybe in a couple of months I'll see you on the dog show circuit!

connect the community breed club on your section. they many times carry sacntioned matches that are tremendous for novices to get the dangle of what a teach will entail. that's likewise tremendous for socializing pups and getting them used to a teach ring. maximum breed golf equipment have showhandling instructions and that is a might want to in case you want to convey out the finest on your new pup. Ask your breeder in case you could bypass to three shows with them . they could provide you rules and could love the extra help. good success

Contact your local dog club-- visit the AKC site if you need a jump-start.

There are local clubs that hold shows, or a group of clubs who organize a larger show.

Good luck!!

First step is probably buying a dog.

Go to the AKC website. They have all of that information. Here's the site.

www.akc.org

You need to ask some one who is in a show so they can get you sterted.

get in touch with a dating agency and search beastality sites